The past few months have been busy, busy, busy! Can I get an amen? In that regard, my story is no different from yours, I know.
Here in my studio some exciting changes are taking place! In short, I’m getting a brand new workshop/studio right in our back yard. Here I’ll be able to consolidate the tools and materials currently located in several rooms in the house, in the garage, and in a rented storage unit. The transition is coming along more slowly than we had anticipated, but it’s coming.
We bought the shed pictured above from Graceland Portable Buildings, and it was delivered in early November on a day of drizzle by the ever-so-skillful Kelsey Cunningham. We had to take down the fence between our yard and the neighbors’ yard, remove two trees, and move a 500-lb propane tank out the way. Even at that, Kelsey had less than two inches to spare between the corner of our house and the corner of our neighbors’ shed, but he got it in with no damage to any of the structures. My hat’s off to him! He’s good! Not only that, but he used his tow dolly to help us put the propane tank back in place. Some friendly neighbors had come over to help move it out of the way at the beginning of the day.
Graceland Portable Buildings has locations nationwide, but Kelsey only works locally. I highly recommend both for your storage needs. And no, I’m not being paid to tell you this. I’m just a very happy customer.
My husband Patrick and I immediately began to convert the shed to a workshop/studio, and the children have pitched in here and there as well. My sons helped me pick up a set of kitchen cabinets that were donated for the cause, and Matthew also worked with his dad and me to hang the drywall. Pat ran the wiring for the lights and outlets, and he did such a good job that the inspector asked if the shed had come prewired. I painted, speckled, and sealed the floor.
The shed sat untouched for a few weeks while all of us were busy with work, but recently Pat and I went back out there to make more progress. We finished hanging the drywall, hung all the trim, and then mudded the drywall. We had some bits of leftover shiplap from another project, and I was able to put it to use in the workshop. I measured and cut the pieces to fit the portion of wall just inside the door, and Pat hung it. Most of the wall is now sanded and ready for paint, but we still need to caulk. Also, I’ve removed the doors from the cabinets, cleaned them, and prepared them for primer and paint. With Pat’s approval, I moved some piano pieces into the workshop, even though it isn’t finished yet, because frankly we were all ready to have a little more breathing room in both the house and the garage. Granted, now we have to be patient as we continually move things here and there to get them out of the way of progress.
♬ ♬ ♬ ♬ ♬ ♬
Thank you for joining me on this tour of the studio. I look forward to seeing you on the next one, in the new year, from my new studio. And, yes, there will be an update—with more pictures—when the workshop/studio is completed. Until next time, may you have a Hopeful and Happy New Year!